Lorelle VanFossen has announced that she’s expanding her WordPress College Course to Portland Community College at Rock Creek – she has previously given the course at Clark College and the Clark College Corporate and CE.
The goal? To get you ramped up with WordPress as quickly and effectively as possible! you’ll explore the application as a CMS, site structure, organization, and even development with a business mindset.
Here’s the general curriculum outline that you can expect:
What Lorelle Will Teach You, What to Expect:
This is special projects class and an introduction to WordPress – teaching the basics of how to set up a WordPress.com and WordPress site, how to blog with WordPress, editing and content management, analytics, SEO, multiple contributions, and an introduction to WordPress Themes and Plugins.
This is an ideal class for those wishing to learn or expand their core WordPress skills, add them to their skill set, or earn ongoing education credit for work. With so many employers looking for WordPress expertise from their advertising, marketing, social media, web, and IT departments, this is an ideal program.
- What is WordPress?
- How to setup a WordPress.com blog.
- Categories, tags, and content organization and navigation.
- Web publishing with the visual editor, HTML editor, QuickPress/PressThis, mobile, and alternative publishing tools.
- Publishing multimedia with WordPress.
- Content development and management.
- Introduction to basic core site customization (header art, widgets, etc.).
- Introduction to dynamic web page generation.
- Introduction to dynamic web design.
- Introduction to WordPress Themes.
- How to use Post Format Types.
- Comments and spam management.
- Multiple users and authors (permissions/authorities).
- Managing multiple contributors.
- Basic analytics and statistics with WordPress.com Stats.
- WordPress and SEO.
- Introduction to WordPress hybrid sites.
- How to create and manage custom menus.
- WordPress Widget functionality and customization.
- Understanding WordPress interactivity through trackbacks, pingbacks, and pings.
- WordPress feed management, integration, and customization.
- Integration of social media to and from WordPress.
- Managing a private or restricted access WordPress site.
- Introduction to WordPress Plugins.
- WordPress installation options.
- Troubleshooting WordPress.
- Introduction to WordPress development for employers and clients.
Classes start in January so head over to register now!
- January 9 – March 20, 2012
- Portland Community College, Rock Creek Beaverton
- Hybrid Online Course: Meets Wednesday 6-9PM with minimum 2 hours online per week
- Register NOW! Registration ends soon.
- CAS181W Course ID 18871
- Tuition: $294 includes class fees.
I love that WordPress is already getting some official attention at the collegiate level and that Lorelle is providing great value to a new generation of publishers!
Way to go!
Join the conversation