You share opinions on blog, you talk about daily life on blogs, you research with blogs.
But, are you really thinking about improving your blog in all the different ways that you can? You may be at a point right now where you have been using WordPress for a year for your blog, your blog gets barely any users, and you may be having problems everyday.
Here are some tips to improve your actual blogging skills, your blog, and your blog readership as a whole using WordPress as your publishing tool of choice:
1. Design is an important when writing content. If your website looks like it was coded by hand in 1997 and you’re using a crappy old theme. Stop using it. Change to one of the newer themes. Give it some images and some color.
What about using Twenty Thirteen?
2. Writing Novels – This one is a common tip, yet it still happens everyday. Yes your blog is read, NO your “essay” about web design is not being read. Who has the time? If you really need to write a novel in WordPress, use Pressbooks.
3. Daily Writing – Writing content everyday is hard, and we know that. The emphasis here is simply writing (I know, go figure). But you still need to write sometimes. Not everyday but at least once a week.
If someone sees that your blog was updated a month ago, that user may think it is old. Updated last week, user will be interested. New post yesterday? Prepare for some comment. Just make sure you have enough time to do a little bit of writing and you will get those visitors.
4. Reminders are great ways that you can get more users. No, not reminders for you getting to blog but using tools to remind others that your blog is still there!
If you are a blog that is just starting out, then use the Mailchimp Forever Free plan and that can cover you for a while. Make sure to show your users that you are committed to writing on your blog.
Also, Newsletters help your users remember your website, so then you will have plenty of recurring users.
5. Advertising is another great method to improve your blog. You don’t have to write for a living, but it would be great in general to get some extra money in your pockets from doing something you love.
Some great programs include Google Adsense or website affiliate programs and even people who may ask you to place their Advertisement on your website.
Sometimes introducing yourself to the world of advertising might actually give yourself some motivation to keep writing. Change it up a little and see what happens!
6. Creativity is something every blog should have. Don’t write articles with boring content and long paragraphs.
Add some humor and images. Throw in a video or a podcast. Make it a fun learning and blogging experience. Your blog is not there to be boring. You are not paid to be boring! Make your website fun.
Add a cool design, be active on social media, just as easy as adding an image. Simple as that. Have creative titles, creative topics, and use other inspirations to charge your WordPress Blog.
7. Plugins are great ways to help charge your WordPress Blog. Find Plugins, Add Plugins that you think you need, and you are ready to go. More Interaction is more users! Check out the many WordPress Plugins that are available to you!
8. Experience is the last method in todays article. Let your users leave your blog with something. A learning experience, a video, a website, a resource, and practically anything else. Don’t make your day to day blogging go to waste.
Chances are, you will get good feedback if you put a lot of time and work and you will get more people referring to your blog. Don’t make a bad experience on a WordPress blog, make the best one YOU can make.
WordPress is a great CMS for many uses. Blogging is a big use. Make your WordPress Blog have a reason to exist and a reason to be popular. If you really enjoy blogging, make the most of it. Don’t wait for users to come, make them come. Create great content and just try to write a lot in your spare time.
Staying active on Social Media and not writing on your blog does not mean you’re still active. Remember this quote:
WordPress is a CMS that is there to encourage you to do things like start Websites and blog. Don’t waste time, take that encouragement!
Some great resources for blogging inspiration that I’ve found very helpful, personally:
- https://chrislema.com/ – A great resource for blogging and inspiration.
- http://www.wpbeginner.com/ – Many WordPress Blogging tips here.
How about you? How are you upping your skills today?
Join the conversation