The Genesis framework is one of the most popular WordPress frameworks out there being one of the go-to places for great designs, features, and customizations for consultants, contractors, and do-it-yourselfers alike.
They just announced that the BETA offering of Genesis 2.0 is now available! For those that have a huge client list on Genesis this is something you’ll definitely want to test out on your local or test environment I’m sure.
What can you expect in the pending release of the final release version?
For starters, you can expect a huge bump on some of the best and newer technologies out there, like HTML5 markup and now with a single line of code in a child theme you can have output into HTML5 markup instead of the old XHTML tags.
The introduction of microdata is something that a number of people have been asking about for SEO-related upgrades and such. Stripping out unnecessary core features is also present providing a trim and efficient framework as well as a host of improvements like:
- Better named loop hooks for HTML5.
- Network Upgrade now upgrades the Genesis database for all sites in a network when running WordPress in multisite mode.
- Widget classes are now coded in PHP5 format.
- Inline HTML comments have been removed to reduce page size.
- The Scripts option now has its own metabox when editing an entry.
- Custom Post Type archive pages now have a settings page so you can control the output.
- Genesis tracks displayed entry IDs so you can exclude entries from showing twice on a page.
- Entries without titles now display a permalink after the post content.
I applaud the continual development of the product and know that many of our audience are mega-fans. Good job guys and keep it up!