Today, we’re super stoked to announce the release of Easy Digital Downloads v1.6 and we’ve spent over two months perfecting this release.
If you’re not too familiar with Easy Digital Downloads, it’s a plugin built by Pippin Williamson who leads the development of the project and Chris Christoff and I are Core Developers of the plugin; our aim is to make selling digital downloads through WordPress super easy! We have dozens of extensions built to enhance the base functionality of Easy Digital Downloads.
Version 1.6 brings so many awesome new features, here are just a few:
- Bundled products. I guess the name says it all, right?
- Improved UI/UX. We completely revamped the “View Order Details” screen and some of the templates bundled with EDD have also been revamped to provide a much cleaner look and to make it easy to navigate.
- Updated documentation round the board. I love documentation and I love PHPDoc so I made it made it my mission to PHPDoc every single function in the source code and then add API Documentation for it but that wasn’t enough! We’ve also improved the documentation provided in the ‘Help’ tabs of the WordPress admin screens.
- New API endpoint for discounts. We have a pretty awesome API that we built and introduced in v1.5 but we’ve made this even better and added a new endpoint for discounts too so you can retrieve discounts for your store.
- SKU number field. Yep, we even added one of these in to make administration easy.
- We’ve also now added a new feature for abandoned orders. If you have customers whose purchases haven’t been ‘completed’ after a week, we marked them as abandoned.
- Better file download methods. We now support delivering file downloads via X-Sendfile, X-Lighttpd-Sendfile, and X-Accel-Redirect depending on your server configuration.
- Last but not least, the big one – improved tax options. We did some magic and now taxes are automatically calculated based on the customer’s state; all you have to do is input the tax rates and EDD does the rest!
There’s plenty more features and you can find in the entire changelog here which we’re sure (and hope) you’ll love!
The entire plugin is on GitHub and we encourage you to contribute!
Join the conversation