The guest host of Episode #25 was Aaron Jorbin.
What were they sippin’ on?<
- Aaron made himself an appletini with Macallan 10 year fine oak substituted for both the vodka and the apple schnapps.
- Brad was sippin’ on a Crown Royal
- Dre a water.
How did the host get into WordPress?
Aaron was a late bloomer—got into web development and WordPress because a friend asked him to build a site. He then built a plugin, then another. One thing led to another, and then Aaron worked on his first patch, and had it submitted to the core of WordPress and had a really great feeling about that. Aaron is still pretty involved in WordPress core.
Pressing Topics of the Week
- WordPress Post Forking, launched a kickstarter campaign to raise $5,000 (which they did). Based on the idea that people can be “patrons” of open-source. Is this the future of development around larger plugins or themes—having this crowd funded idea?
- Automatic Core Updates, an update. Beta 1 coming out soon. Maintenance and security releases will be automatic. Dre: the ideal place would be that all updates are done automatically without breaking anything.
- Automattic acquired Cloudup. Understand that WordPress may integrate some portions of Cloudup into the WordPress Media Library. See how WordPress.com uses it, then that will generate the buzz around WordPress.org.
- The Year Without Pants is on sale. It’s a management book, all about being a distributed company.
- WordPress.com is officially ranked number 8 for internet traffic in the US. Amazing to think that WordPress.com is above Yahoo.
- WordSesh 2 dates announced, December 6-7, 2013. 24 hours of streaming presentations about WordPress topics. WordSesh 2 will officially be kicked off by DradCast.
- Aaron’s bar trick is a new theme called Socially Awkward by Justin Tadlock.
- Brad is doing a free webinar Thursday November 26 on WordPress security.
- Dre’s bar trick is a Securi Report on website attacks by Tony Perez and Daniel Cid.
- WordCamp Europe in Leiden, The Netherlands on October 5-7, 2013.
- PressNomics 2, October 17-19, 2013.