Have you ever wanted to learn how to create a WordPress Theme from scratch? Here’s an incredible primer via ThemeShaper that has gotten an incredible amount of attention because, well, it deserves it.
The first version was done by Ian Stewart and now the second edition has been released, with the last part covering the distribution of a WordPress Theme being completed recently.
It’s everything you need to get started and is fast becoming a staple for those that are first entering into the theming waters.
The entire Table of Contents is listed below and I suspect that you’ll be spending some time here:
- WordPress Theme Tutorial Introduction
- Developing Theme Sense
- Theme Development Tools
- Creating a Theme HTML Structure
- Template and Directory Structure
- Setting Up Your Theme Functions
- Secure Your WordPress Theme
- The Header Template
- The Index Template
- The Single Post, Post Attachment, & 404 Templates
- The Comments Template
- The Search Template & The Page Template
- The Archive Template
- The Sidebar Template & The Footer Template
- Reset-Rebuild Theme CSS & Define Your Layouts
- Custom Background & Custom Header
- Distributing Your WordPress Theme
Thanks to Ian and the rest of the Theme Wrangler team that brought it together!